When it comes to singing, some songs just seem impossible to sing for females. Whether it’s because of the high notes or the fast tempo, these songs give female vocalists a run for their money.
So, if you’re looking for a challenge, here are 20 of the hardest songs to sing for females. From Sia to Mariah Carey, these songs are sure to test your vocal limits.
- 1. “Chandelier” by Sia
- 2. “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys
- 3. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
- 4. “Vision Of Love” by Mariah Carey
- 5. “Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson
- 6. “Stone Cold” by Demi Lovato
- 7. “Alone” by Heart
- 8. “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston
- 9. “Wuthering Heights” by Kate Bush
- 10. “All By Myself” by Celine Dion
- 11. “Love On Top” by Beyonce
- 12. “My All” by Mariah Carey
- 13. “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande
- 14. “Listen” by Beyonce
- 15. “Loving You” by Minnie Riperton
- 16. “Video Games” by Lana Del Rey
- 17. “Hello” by Adele
- 18. “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
- 19. “Hurt” by Christina Aguilera
- 20. “Emotions” by Mariah Carey
- Final Thoughts
- Related Posts:
1. “Chandelier” by Sia
Starting off our list is Sia’s “Chandelier.” This song is notoriously difficult to sing because of its range.
Sia’s powerful vocal performance is within the higher ranges of a female singer’s voice, making it difficult to replicate. This was released in 2014 and was nominated and awarded for various music awards.
2. “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys
This next song is a popular choice for singing contests. Alicia Keys’ “If I Ain’t Got You” is a beautiful ballad that shows off the softer side of a female singer’s voice.
However, the song does have its fair share of tricky vocal runs that can be difficult to nail. This was released in 2003 for her hit album The Diary of Alicia Keys.
3. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston
“I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston is a classic song that has been covered by many artists over the years. However, Whitney’s original version is still the most difficult to sing.
This ballad requires a lot of vocal control and power, making it Houston’s most iconic performance. It is the soundtrack for the movie The Bodyguard.
4. “Vision Of Love” by Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey is known for her five-octave vocal range and her ability to hit those high notes. “Vision of Love” is the perfect example of this, as it features Carey hitting some of the highest notes she’s ever sung on the record.
This was released in 1990 as Carey’s debut single and it quickly shot to number one on the Billboard charts and even won a Grammy.
5. “Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson
You might recall this song from the hit movie Pitch Perfect. “Since U Been Gone” was Kelly Clarkson’s breakout hit. It is a fast-paced pop song that is loaded with high notes.
This was released in 2004 and went on to peak at number two on the Billboard Top 100 chart. This is one of the tracks on her album Breakaway.
6. “Stone Cold” by Demi Lovato
“Stone Cold” is a heart-wrenching ballad sung by Demi Lovato. It is a slower song, but that doesn’t make it any easier to sing.
The slow tempo can make it more difficult to hit those big notes. This was released in 2015 on her album Confident.
7. “Alone” by Heart
Heart is a classic rock band that is fronted by two sisters, Ann and Nancy Wilson. “Alone” is one of their most popular songs and it showcases the powerful vocal abilities of both sisters.
This was released in 1987 on their album Bad Animals. You can listen to it on all music platforms out there.
8. “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston is back on our list with another one of her classic hits. “I Have Nothing” is a beautiful ballad that requires a lot of vocal control.
The song has some tricky high notes that are difficult to hit. This was released in 1992 and has been covered by popular artists since then.
9. “Wuthering Heights” by Kate Bush
Another song that is difficult to sing because of its range is “Wuthering Heights” by Kate Bush. This song was inspired by the novel of the same title.
It is a very ethereal and atmospheric song that was released in 1978 and is one of her most popular songs on the album The Kick Inside. It now has a whopping 29 million Youtube views.
10. “All By Myself” by Celine Dion
“All By Myself” is another difficult song to sing because of its range. Celine Dion hits some extremely high notes in this song that require a lot of vocal control.
This was released in 1996 on her album Falling Into You. It has been covered by many artists over the years, but Dion’s version is still the most popular one with over 54 million Youtube views.
11. “Love On Top” by Beyonce
Of course, we won’t miss out on Beyonce when we’re talking about difficult songs to sing. “Love On Top” is a fun and upbeat song that is loaded with high notes.
This was released in 2011 as part of her album 4. You can watch the music video on Youtube, which has almost 500 million views. It is also a singing contest favorite.
12. “My All” by Mariah Carey
Another song by Mariah Carey that is difficult to sing is “My All”. This is a slower ballad that features some tricky high notes.
The song was released in 1998 on the album Butterfly. If you’re looking for a song to impress at a karaoke night, this would be a great choice.
13. “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande
If you’re looking for a bit more modern song on the list, “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande is the one. This is a pop song with some R&B elements that was released in 2016 on the album of the same name. It was nominated for several Grammy Awards and won an award in the Teen Choice Awards.
14. “Listen” by Beyonce
This iconic song by Beyonce was released in 2003 for the movieDreamgirls. “Listen” is a power ballad that slowly builds up to the big finale.
The song requires a lot of vocal control and range. It was nominated for several awards, including Grammy Awards and American Music Awards.
15. “Loving You” by Minnie Riperton
Minnie Riperton is a singer from the 1970s who is best known for her song “Loving You”. This is a beautiful ballad that was released in 1974 on the album Perfect Angel.
Even though she passed away in 1979, her music continues to live on. This remains an iconic track with her signature whistle register.
16. “Video Games” by Lana Del Rey
“Video Games” by Lana Del Rey is a bit different from the other songs on the list. This song was released in 2012 and became an instant hit. It has a slow and dreamy pace that makes it perfect for karaoke night.
Even though it’s a popular choice, it’s still difficult to sing because of Del Rey’s unique style. It can be found on her album Born to Die: The Paradise Edition.
17. “Hello” by Adele
Adele’s “Hello” is a heart-wrenching ballad that was released in 2015. The song is about moving on from a past relationship. It quickly became a commercial and critical success.
“Hello” won several awards, including Grammy Awards for Record of the Year and Song of the Year. This is one of the popular songs on her hit album 25.
18. “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion
“My Heart Will Go On” is another song by Celine Dion that is difficult to sing. This was the theme song for the movie Titanic, which was released in 1997.
The song became an instant hit and has been covered by many artists over the years. Dion’s version remains the most popular one with over 160 million views on Youtube. It is one of the tracks on her album Let’s Talk About Love.
19. “Hurt” by Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera is known for her powerful voice, and “Hurt” is one of her most popular songs. This ballad was released in 2006 on the album Back to Basics.
It’s a heart-wrenching song about dealing with the pain of a breakup. Aguilera received critical acclaim for her vocals on the track.
20. “Emotions” by Mariah Carey
We are finishing the list strong with another song by Mariah Carey. “Emotions” is a dance track that was released in 1991 on the album of the same title. The song peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
It’s a difficult song to sing because of the fast pace and high notes. Carey received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
These are the 20 hardest songs to sing for females. Even though they may be difficult, they are still fun to sing. So, don’t be discouraged and keep practicing! Thanks for reading.
- The 20 Hardest Karaoke Songs to Sing
- The 20 Hardest Songs to Sing for Males
- The Hardest Ariana Grande Songs To Sing
- The 20 Hardest Broadway Songs
- 20 of the Best Sing-Along Party Songs
- 20 Songs to Sing Acapella
- 8) MONEY by Pink Floyd. ...
- 7) IMAGINE by Ariana Grande. ...
- 6) LOVIN' YOU by Minnie Riperton. ...
- 5) WITHOUT ME by Eminem. ...
- 4) STONE COLD by Demi Lovato. ...
- 3) BODY AND SOUL by John Green. ...
- 2) B.Y.O.B by System of a Down. ...
- 1) BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY by Queen.
Montserrat Caballé hits this note in Strauss' opera Salome. But it's Mariah Carey who takes the prize for the largest vocal range of all. She can reach a low F2 and hit an unbelievable G7, a note that dolphins would envy, and that only some dogs can hear.What is the hardest Whitney Houston song to sing? ›
I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
It's a really difficult song to get right – you need to hit those high notes and you need to make sure you are in control of your breathing.
A countertenor is a male singer who can sing as high as a soprano or mezzo-soprano. The countertenor is the rarest of all voice types.What is the best song to sing if you can't sing? ›
"Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
This classic is one some may say is one of the best karaoke songs, period. It's also great if you can't really sing: everyone knows or at least can slur along with every word, it's in most people's middle range, and the chorus is a party.
The seventh octave is the range of notes between C7 and C8. It is easier for very high coloratura sopranos to sing in this octave, but some people who are capable of singing in the bass range (like singers Adam Lopez, Virgo Degan, Nicola Sedda or Dimash Kudaibergen) can do it.Who has the best female voice? ›
- 8: Dionne Warwick. ...
- 7: Adele. ...
- 6: Madonna. ...
- 5: Billie Holiday. ...
- 4: Kate Bush. ...
- 3: Ella Fitzgerald. ...
- 2: Amy Winehouse. ...
- 1: Aretha Franklin. Topping our list of the best female singers of all time, Aretha Franklin also stands as the most-charting female singer in history.
Mariah Carey- 5 Octaves. Paul McCartney- 5 Octaves. Whitney Houston- 5 Octaves.What is a powerful woman song? ›
“Respect” by Aretha Franklin (1967)
It is simply one of the most feminist songs of all time, point blank, end of story. Iconic line: “R-E-S-P-E-C-T.” If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device.
- “Firework'”– Katy Perry. ...
- “Love Yourself” – Justin Bieber. ...
- “Love Song” – Sara Bareilles. ...
- “Blank Space” – Taylor Swift. ...
- “Thinking Out Loud” – Ed Sheeran. ...
- “All Of Me” – John Legend. ...
- “Someone Like You” – Adele.
- #1 Imagine by John Lennon.
- #2 Run by Snow Patrol.
- #3 Fields of Gold by Sting.
- #4 Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
- #5 Mamma Mia by Abba.
- #6 One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston.
- #7 You and I by Ingrid Michaelson.
'All By Myself' of @Celine Dion is one of the hardest songs to sing | PART 1 COMPILATION.What was Whitneys voice type? ›
What's Whitney Houston's Voice Type? Whitney Houston is a very powerful mezzo-soprano that has a richness to her voice that will forever be distinct and memorable. Whitney had a really high range for belting/chest voice that always seemed to come effortlessly in a way that no other singer could really match.Does Celine Dion have perfect pitch? ›
Celine Dion is said to have perfect pitch according to a source list that includes composer David Foster. It's not hard to believe that she possessed the skill with her amazingly accurate live performance notes along with her effortless riffs and runs.What is the most rare female voice? ›
Check these ladies out. Contraltos are arguably the rarest of female voice types and they possess a tone so dark they often give the men a run for their money. If mezzos are like clarinets, contraltos are more like bass clarinets.What voice type is Adele? ›
As a mezzo-soprano, Adele's songs sit in a range that suits most listeners, singing along. Adele can mix her chest voice up quite high (E5, 10 notes above middle C) but she is not taken to the range extremes of early Mariah or Celine.Do singing voices get worse with age? ›
The proteins elastin and collagen gradually dissipate, thinning the vocal folds and making them less pliable. The cords have a harder time vibrating at high frequencies, so the voice's default pitch drops.What to sing when you can t sing? ›
If you're looking for an upbeat, crowd-pleasing song, “Don't Stop Believin'” by Journey is a great option. It's a classic karaoke song that will get everyone in the room singing along. If rap is more your style, try “Gangsta's Paradise” by Coolio. It's a great song to rap along to and can be a lot of fun.What should I avoid for singing? ›
Some foods and beverages to avoid prior to singing are mucous producing foods such as dairy, stimulants such as caffeine and spicy foods, soft drinks, refined sugars, chocolate, iced drinks and alcohol (including wine and beer).Which song is easiest to sing? ›
- Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan.
- Shake It Off by Taylor Swift.
- Mamma Mia by ABBA.
- Born This Way by Lady Gaga.
- Da Doo Run Run by The Crystals (feat. Dolores Brooks)
- I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash.
- A Thousand Years by Christina Perri.
- Bubbly by Colbie Caillat.
Tim Storms boasts a vocal range of 10 octaves and his lowest note is so deep it can only be heard by elephants.Who has the best voice ever? ›
- 1 of 31. Barbra Streisand. Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for BSB. ...
- 2 of 31. Etta James. Charles Paul Harris/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images. ...
- 3 of 31. Aretha Franklin. ...
- 4 of 31. Whitney Houston. ...
- 5 of 31. Mariah Carey. ...
- 6 of 31. Elton John. ...
- 7 of 31. Freddie Mercury. ...
- 8 of 31. Adele.
Houston's range spanned five octaves and her voice was plush, vibrant and often spectacular. She could pour on the exuberant flourishes of gospel or peal a simple pop chorus, sing sweetly or unleash a sultry rasp.Who is the number 1 female artist of all time? ›
Madonna has certainly earned the title of the best-selling female artist of all time – a title certified by Guinness World Records.What is an attractive voice for a girl? ›
Their study revealed that males find female voices that indicate a smaller body size—high-pitched, breathy voices with wide formant spacing—most attractive. Females, on the other hand, prefer to hear a low-pitched voice with narrow formant spacing, reflecting a larger body size.What is the attractive voice on female? ›
Higher pitched voices were assessed as more attractive up to an optimal pitch; female voices above ca. 280 Hz were rated as less attractive. We suggest that female voices that have too high a pitch sound babyish and are associated with sexual immaturity.Who has a 9 octave vocal range? ›
Storms also holds the record for the lowest vocal note. The notes achieved are actually between G and G#, so in terms of concert tuning his range is actually 9 octaves and 11 semitones, however because we use a hertz measurement the range is recognised as the full 10 octaves.What singers can hit all octaves? ›
Based on the findings, Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose has demonstrated the greatest vocal range in studio. Mariah Carey comes in second, followed by Prince, Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Christina Aguilera and David Bowie. The Vocal Ranges of the Greatest Singers.What is the most difficult piece of music? ›
- Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji - Opus clavicembalisticum.
- Alexander Scriabin - Mysterium. ...
- Franz Liszt - La Campanella. ...
- Giovanni Bottesini - Double Bass Concerto No. ...
- J.S. Bach - Chaconne in D. ...
- Luciano Berio - Sequenzas. ...
- Conlon Nancarrow - Studies for Player Piano.
- Defying Gravity by Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth.
- Don't Rain on My Parade by Barbra Streisand.
- Chandelier by Sia.
- Emotions by Mariah Carey.
- Lovin' You by Minnie Ripperton.
- I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston.
- All By Myself by Celine Dion.
- Alexander Scriabin — Mysterium.
- Giovanni Bottesini — Concerto for Double Bass No 2 in B Minor.
- Luciano Berio — Sequenzas.
- Conlon Nancarrow — Studies for Player Piano.
- Anton Bruckner — Symphony No. ...
- Adolf von Henselt — Piano Concerto Op. ...
- Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst — Variations on “The Last Rose of Summer”
- 1. “ Rolling In The Deep” by Adele.
- 2. “ Titanium” by David Guetta feat. Sia.
- 3. “ I'll Never Love Again” by Lady Gaga.
- 4. “ Run” by Leona Lewis.
- 5. “ Chandelier” by SIA.
- 6. “ Somebody to Love” by Queen.
- 7. “ If I Ain't Got You” by Alicia Keys.
- 8. “ Emotions” by Mariah Carey.
- Violin. The violin is a wooden stringed instrument that's part of a larger family of similar instruments. ...
- The French Horn. ...
- The Organ. ...
- Bagpipes. ...
- Accordion. ...
- Oboe. ...
- Harp. ...
Organ2/ASLSP (As Slow as Possible) is a musical piece by John Cage and the subject of one of the longest-lasting musical performances yet undertaken.Who has the deepest singing voice ever? ›
Tim Storms (born August 28, 1972) is an American singer and composer. He holds the Guinness World Record for both the "lowest note produced by a human" and the "widest vocal range".What are some complex songs? ›
- Radiohead - Paranoid Android. People complain that this is a difficult song to learn to play, but apparently it's quite straightforward. ...
- Pink Floyd - Money. ...
- Alt-J - Matilda. ...
- Biffy Clyro - Living is A Problem Because Everything Dies. ...
- The Stranglers - Golden Brown.
#1. Sufjan Stevens – ''The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!What is the fastest piece of music ever written? ›
"Thousand" was listed in Guinness World Records for having the fastest tempo in beats-per-minute (BPM) of any released single, peaking at approximately 1,015 BPM.What singer holds the longest note? ›
For the record, Kenny G held his note for 45 minutes and 47 seconds, but Femi Kuti took it all the way to 46 minutes and 38 seconds. MARTIN: So congratulations to Kuti, right?What singer can hit the most notes? ›
- Mariah Carey.
- Jonas Kaufmann.
- Ariana Grande.
- Luciano Pavarotti.
- Christina Aguilera.
- Maria Callas.
- Axl Rose.
This is Tim Storms, a singer in possession of an incredible 10 octaves!!! He's a Guinness World Record Breaker and has recorded material, although has never seen significant success in the industry. Watch this astounding video to see what he can do. If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device.